School age achievement levels
Students must be able to perform the following skills confidently and competently before moving onto the next level. The levels have been designed to take a swimmer through the fundamental swim skills, building to stroke development. The preliminary movement skills for all four strokes are taught in the early stages so that when the whole stroke is introduced it is easier for the student to master. In addition water safety skills are taught at all levels (shown in red).
- Safe entries and exists using steps and poolside without steps.
- Move confidently in the water as directed by the instructor.
- Submerge face, eyes open, blow bubbles for a count of three.
- Front push and glide, face down blowing bubbles, to or from wall.
- Back push and glide, arms at sides, exhaling, from wall or platform.
- Travel two metres on front (with aids if required).
- Travel two metres on back (with aids if required).
- Show a front star float, face down blowing bubbles.
- Show a back star float with breathing.
- Show an understanding of pool safety rules.
- Safe entries and exits using steps & poolside (controlled entry).
- Submerge completely, feet to contact with pool floor, jumping up and on to front.
- Show front flutter kick with long legs, fast feet (with an aid if required).
- Show back flutter kick with long legs, fast feet (with aid if required).
- Front push and glide in streamline approx. Two metres (recover to upright).
- Back push and glide in streamline approx. Two metres (recover to upright).
- Travel five metres on front with/without aids.
- Travel five metres on back with/without aids.
- Show a mushroom float (with assistance if required).
- Fully submerge and pick up an object.
- Jump in from the side and submerge. Upon surfacing return to poolside.
- Sink, push away from wall and maintain a streamlined position.
- Travel 10 metres on front.
- Travel 10 metres on back.
- Swim five metres using breaststroke type kick action on front or back (aids may be used).
- Show basic dolphin kick action.
- Tread water using breaststroke or bicycle kick action (with aid if required).
- Push and glide arms extended and log roll front to back and back to front.
- Travel on front, tuck, rotate around horizontal axis and return on back.
- Show a basic sitting dive; lock hands, lock head, holding streamline after entry.
- Perform sequence of changing shapes whilst floating.
- Swim 10 metres Freestyle kick (with kickboard if required).
- Swim 10 metres Backstroke kick (with kickboard if required).
- Swim 10 metres Breaststroke kick (with kickboard if required).
- Swim 10 metres Dolphin kick (with kickboard if required).
- Tread water using Breaststroke or bicycle kick and sculling arms.
- Perform a head first scull on back for five metres in horizontal position.
- Travel on back and roll in one continuous movement onto front.
- Travel on front and roll in one continuous movement onto back.
- Push and glide from wall or platform to touch bottom of pool with hands.
- Swim 10 metres choice of stroke.
- Swim 15 metres Freestyle.
- Swim 15 metres Backstroke.
- Swim 10 metres Breaststroke.
- Swim 10 metres Butterfly.
- Show a stationary back float with support scull. Then scull in a head first direction for five metres and feet first for five metres.
- Perform a somersault (forward roll).
- Perform a handstand for three seconds.
- Swim 10 metres in clothes and answer three questions on water safety, including signal for help.
- Tread water with a relaxed Breaststroke kick and sculling arms.
- Demonstrate action for getting help.
- Show a basic crouching dive.
- Swim Freestyle at least six rhythmical breaths.
- Swim Backstroke at least six rhythmical breaths.
- Swim Breaststroke to include at least six rhythmical breaths.
- Swim Butterfly to include three rhythmical breaths.
- Swim 25 metres using own choice stroke maintaining good technique.
- Sink, push off on side from wall glide kick and rotate into Freestyle.
- Sink push off from the side and glide kick and rotate in Backstroke.
- Jump in, tread water for 10 seconds then swim forward for five meters (without touching pool floor).
- Take up and hold H.E.L.P. and H.U.D.D.L.E. floats for two minutes using lifejackets.
- Surface dive from swimming Breaststroke and swim two metres underwater.
- Perform a shout and signal rescue.
- Swim 25 metres Freestyle.
- Swim 25 metres Backstroke.
- Swim 25 metres Breaststroke.
- Swim 25 metres Butterfly.
- Swim 50 metres using any stroke without stopping and maintaining good technique.
- Swim 100 metres using minimum three different strokes (stroke change after length).
- Straddle jump and tread water for 30 seconds then swim 50 metres passing through a submerged hoop, wearing clothes (without touching pool floor).
- Show a basic tumble turn on front, pushing off wall in streamline.
- Show a basic open turn, pushing off the wall in streamline.
- Complete a one minute combine skills sequence.
- Attempt 200m swim test.